Low Fat Cheese Enchilada Recipe
A great cheese enchilada recipe to try......
Cheese Enchilada Recipe Ingredients
* 1 pound low fat queso blanco (or Monterey Jack), grated
* 1/4 pound low fat pepper jack, grated for topping
* 1 package corn tortillas (about a dozen or so)
* 1/4 cup yellow onion, small diced
* 1/4 cup red onion, small diced
* 1/4 cup red pepper, small diced
* 1/4 cup green pepper, small diced
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic
* 1 serving of enchilada sauce, warmed
* Vegetable oil for frying the tortillas
* Olive oil for sweating the vegetables
Cheese Enchilada Recipe Instructions
1. In a 12-inch pan, put enough olive oil to just barely coat the bottom of the pan.
2. Set over a medium-low heat.
3. Add the peppers and almost all of the onions.
4. Slowly sweat the onions and peppers until the onions just start to become translucent.
5. Add the garlic and continue to sweat until it becomes fragrant.
6. Remove from heat and let cool.
7. Once the onion/pepper mix is cooled, mix it into the grated low fat queso blanco.
8. Add the uncooked onions and mix thoroughly.
9. Add an inch of vegetable oil to a pan that is at least two inches deep and heat to at least 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. Using tongs, dip the corn tortillas one at a time into the oil until they just start to bubble.
11. Remove the tortilla from the oil and dip them one or twice very quickly.
12. Place on a drying rack or a paper towel to drain and cool.
13. Once the fried tortilla is cool enough to handle, place about an ounce of the cheese mixture in the middle of the tortilla, enough to go across the tortilla with about a half inch margin on both sides and about an inch high.
14. You should have enough cheese for about 12 enchiladas.
15. Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13 oven ready dish with a little of the enchilada sauce.
16. Place the rolled enchiladas in the dish seam side up.
17. Cover the enchiladas completely with sauce.
18. Sprinkle a little of the pepper jack cheese on each enchilada.
19. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven
This great low fat cheese enchilada recipe is ready to serve.... yum yum !